Wednesday 2 May 2012

the program: what is needed there?


I initially struggled with determining what program I would want my building to accommodate, but I came across the above quote in one of my favourite design books, Architecture of Change: Sustainability & Humanity in the Built Environment. I wanted the function of the building to correlate very strongly with my main concept: to make people aware of the presence and importance of nature. The issue of sustainability is not only high on the political agenda, but architects, urban planners, artists, and the like are bringing attention to it in their works like never before, and the general public are forced to recognize that it is a pressing issue that we cannot ignore. However, currently there seems to be a lack of a physical forum for the exchange of this kind of information and knowledge to take place. My proposal, therefore, is to design a space in which artists, architects, urban planners, and environmental scientists can exhibit their works and research, from photographs, to sculptures, to digital installations, to physical models. 

From this point I began to research 'nature museums and exhibits' and the radical nature exhibition in London, which occurred in 2009, caught my attention. Below are some of the projects that were exhibited.





"Radical nature draws on ideas that have emerged out of Land Art, environmental activism, experimental architecture and utopianism. The exhibition is designed as one fantastical landscape, with each piece introducing into the gallery space a dramatic portion of nature."
 


No comments:

Post a Comment