Friday 4 May 2012

Biomimicry: inspiration for the physical functions of the building.

I was really interested in looking to biomimicry to answer questions like:


- How would nature provide shade but still allow ample ventilation in a space?
- How would nature shade the facade of a building?
- How would nature inspire a moving facade?


As mentioned in the previous post, I wanted to explore options for an extendable shading device for the cavity in the roof garden, to provide cover for the path during the hottest part of the day and still allow penetration of breezes. I discovered the COMOLEVI forest canopy which is inspired by the patterns in a tree canopy, which allows dappled sunlight and breezes to penetrate the space.


I also looked at moving façade technologies, and the one below was my favourite. It is comprised of elastomers with a silver coating that send an electric charge over the surface when there is a high concentration of sunlight. Therefore these elastomers expand and contract in relation to how much light is penetrating the surface.


These are the types of technologies that I am really interested in adapting and incorporating into my project 3 design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment